Are you practicing the virtue of sincerity? Here are 5 questions to ask yourself or your Ben Franklin Circle.
Franklin’s definition: “Use no hurtful deceit. Think innocently and justly; and, if you speak, speak accordingly.”
1. How would you define sincerity? Does your definition align with Franklin’s?
2. Some might associate the word “sincerity” with being honest and authentic. What role does the white lie play in a virtuous life? Is it better to be honest or to fib in order to spare someone’s feelings? Franklin says “use no hurtful deceit.”
3. How might someone cultivate sincerity in their own lives?
4. What do you think Franklin means by “Think innocently and justly”?
5. What is the opposite of sincerity? Dishonesty? Cynicism? Deceit?