Are you practicing the virtue of silence? Here are 5 questions to ask yourself or your Ben Franklin Circle.
“Speak not but what may benefit others or yourself. Avoid trifling conversation.”
1. Do you think silence is a virtue? Why? Are there times when it isn’t?
2. Do you make time for silence each day? How?
3. Some people prefer silence more than others. What’s the best way to interact with someone who is different from you on this virtue—should you adapt to them, like by being more extraverted around in a chatty crowd? Or should you be yourself and keep quiet?
4. Let’s talk about the phrase “awkward silence.” Why do some people think silences are awkward?
5. Do you think our culture values silence? Is that a good thing?