Are you practicing the virtue of humility? Here are 5 questions to ask yourself or your Ben Franklin Circle.
Franklin’s definition: “Imitate Jesus and Socrates.”
1. There are a lot of different ways to think about humility. By referencing Jesus and Socrates, Franklin suggests that humility involves thinking of yourself as unimportant and undistinguished, and being a loving servant or others. How would you define it?
2. Why is it important to be humble? How does it improve the community? Can it ever hurt the community?
3. When does humility become servility or obsequiousness?
4. Many religious traditions emphasize both humility and service. What is the relationship between being humble and being a servant to others?
5. Is there a danger in being too humble? When does humility become servility or obsequiousness? Have you ever been too humble?